In addition to energy that flows around your body, there are energy systems that flow through your body. These seven basic energy systems are arranged up and down the center of our bodies and are intimately connected with specific parts of the endocrine system. Each chakra has a different energy frequency and are associated with the colors of those frequencies. Additionally each chakra also represents a particular spiritual or life lesson. If our chakras or energy centers are blocked, we lose our connection to the universal life force and we eventually succumb to disease and death. When our chakras are blocked, we also have distorted perceptions of life, and our emotional and intellectual health suffers. In order to maintain optimal physical, emotional and spiritual health, these energy centers must be open and able to receive and return energy.
Here are the chakras, their color and location in the body, the endocrine glands and body organs associated with each and the life lesson or issues they represent:
- Base or Root chakra: Located at the base of the spine. Associated with the adrenal glands, kidneys, bladder, rectum, spine, legs, feet and hips. Lessons are related to the material world, basic security needs, and a sense of belonging. Imbalances may result in a person feeling ungrounded or not present, limited views of self, excessive concern for material stability, status, prestige and power, depression, immune-related disorders, constipation, sciatica, hemorrhoids, varicose veins, obesity.
- Sacral chakra : Located in the lower abdomen below the belly button. Associated with the ovaries/testes (reproductive hormones), the uterus, large intestine, and prostate. Lessons are related to sexuality, relationships, dependency/independence and nurturing. Imbalances may result in the inability to play or have a healthy sexual relationship, low self-esteem, fear of losing control or being controlled, ob/gyn problems, urinary problems, sexual potency.
- Solar plexus chakra : Located over the stomach. Associated with the pancreas (insulin), liver, spleen, stomach, small intestine, digestive system. Lessons are related to personal power, ego, storing of emotion, desires, and self-esteem. Imbalance may result in a sense of powerlessness, not knowing who you are, feeling lost, low self-esteem, depression, difficulty in accepting, inability to adapt, ulcers, diabetes, eating disorders, problems with digestive system.
- Heart chakra : Located in the center of the chest. Associated with the thymus grand, heart, lungs and breasts. Lessons are about forgiveness, compassion and unconditional love. Imbalances may result in sudden burst of emotion, insecurity, nervousness, anxiety, anger, impatience, fanaticism, an overly critical nature, withdrawn, or the inability to have close relationships, asthma, blood pressure, heart and lung disease, and breast cancer. Having too large of a heart chakra can also be detrimental and out of balance as the person may over-identify with other people’s pain and suffering.
- Throat chakra (blue): Located at the throat. Associate with the thyroid, lungs, throat, and intestines. Lessons are about will, logic, self-expression, and creativity, addiction, judgment, criticism and decision-making. Imbalance may result in being unable to speak up or unable to shut up, sore throat, swollen glands, colds, thyroid problems, gum problems, mouth ulcers, and scoliosis.
- Third eye chakra: Located at the forehead between the eyebrows. Associated with pituitary gland, eyes, ears, lower head, nervous system, and sinuses. Lessons are about intuition, wisdom, insight, self-evaluation and self-responsibility. Imbalances may result in doubt, lack of clarity, indecision, confusion, feelings of inadequacy, inability to trust instinct, headaches, nightmares, defects of vision, seizures, learning disabilities, blindness, deafness, neurological problems, brain tumors, stroke.
- Crown chakra: Located at the top of the head. Associated with the pineal gland (melatonin) and the brain. Lessons are about spirituality, purpose, and global consciousness. Imbalances may result in a sense of alienation, fears of spiritual abandonment, loss of identity and loss of connection with life and people around us, mystical depression, chronic exhaustion not linked to physical disorder, extreme sensitivity to light, sound or other factors.
From an energetic perspective, health problems and loss of well-being are directly related to interferences or blocks in the energy field. Restoring the integrity of the energy body, thereby restoring the basic foundation of our health and well-being, brings about healing.